Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mr Dither's chair starts the makeover

I decided to start with the old office chair and used a paint remover to remove all vestiges of the old varnish. As a rule all old furniture has some sort of varnish on it and it needs to be removed before you can sand the wood.
This stuff is quite dangerous to work with so do make sure that you work in a well ventilated area, preferably with gloves as the gel burns if it gets on your skin. Using a paint scraper, scrape the dissolved gunk off about 5 minutes after application while it is still liquid. I normally wipe off the scraper on a piece of newspaper to clean it.
Now for the sanding - I started with an 80 grit sandpaper to get down to clean wood and then went on to finer 100 to smooth it down. Finish with a 200+ paper for a satin smooth touch.



There are always small areas that an electric sander cannot reach and these have to be finished off by hand, so after attending to this I gave the chair a brush down with a soft brush to remove all dust and then a wipe with a soft, dry cloth.
Then the lovely, exciting bit - applying the varnish or sealant and watching the wood come alive!
I decided I wanted a matt finish with the natural colour of the wood so I selected a matt polyurethane for interiors and applied it with a soft paint brush. See how the gorgeous grain of the wood starts to show through.



I have written this post literally while I wait for the varnish to dry - I will have to put on at least one more coat and then I will start on the covering and assembly - keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you and any tips that you might want to pass on to others.