Sunday, May 8, 2011

Junk to Jewels

One of the things I enjoy doing is finding a way of returning a piece of old, outdated furniture to something that is once again admired and coveted. I will share some of the more sucessful projects that I have undertaken - many of which have found a home in friend's houses and my own!





Junk to jewel

This gorgeous chair with its hand carved panel of St George slaying the dragon had been relegated to the garage where it was providing food for various wood munching insects!!!
Before letting it into my workroom I treated it thoroughly to make sure all wildlife nestling inside had passed on.
When I tackled the chair all the joints came apart so while it was in pieces I cleaned all the bits thoroughly with fine steel wool and a small bristle brush to get rid of years of accumulated dust and dirt especially in the hand carved panels. While doing this I found that even the tops of the legs had inlay work of tremendous delicacy!!
I then applied a generous coating of wood oil which was soaked up like a sponge but gave an inkling of just how good it would look! The client had specified that she did not want the wood stripped back and I agreed that it would spoil its appearance to have it too raw and new-looking.
The joints were then repaired, cotton wadding tacked onto the seat and a smart new navy leather covering with antique studs brought a magnificent chair back to heirloom status!











1 comment:

It would be great to hear from you and any tips that you might want to pass on to others.